Friday, February 19, 2016

Christ is the Light

From Feb 9, 2016

Heyyy!!!!!!

It's my second to last P-day ever as a missionary and that is just INSANE!!!! Soooo crazy. It still doesn't seem real. It probably won't even seem real until I get on the plane!! haha. So it's just been crazy realizing how little time I really have left. Huge mix of emotions. Now I understand returned missionaries a little better I think haha. But yeah I've felt it all. Sad to leave, excited to see all your beautiful faces again :D, anxiety about life haha, not knowing how to say goodbye to these people, sadness about having to leave such a sacred mantle, excited to apply everything I've been learning when I get home, anxious to know what path God wants me to take in life like what to study, etc, exploring what it means to represent Christ without a name tag, and soooo much more. It's been really good. I feel better about it now haha. Last transfer all I felt was fear and anxiety and sadness haha but now I feel a lot better--a lot more prepared and just happy and content about finishing one of the most amazing adventures of my life and moving on to the next one. :) It's been so amazing and I feel like life will just keep getting better from here. 

Miracles from this week!

So we contacted a lady on the street last week named Paulina. She was verrrry Catholic and didn't really want to make an appointment with us but said that if she just happened to be home one day and we passed by, she would let us in. So we decided to pass by yesterday and she was there! We taught her about the Restoration and she was sooooo different from the day we contacted her. We have no idea what happened but she was just so much more open and receptive. So that was a miracle! And we now have a new investigator FINALLY. It has been so hard to find new investigators lately so that was just a huge miracle. Afterwards Hna. Maxfield and I realized that it is probably because we did a combined fast with our district last Sunday specifically fasting that our investigators can progress towards baptism and that we can find new investigators since it was a common challenge among our district and zone. So we did that and have really seen the blessings of it!

We also had a really great lesson with Monica this week. We tried planning for her but for some reason we just weren't sure exactly what she was going to need. So we just said a prayer before and trusted that the spirit would let us know what to say. So then we started the lesson going over the chapter she read in the Book of Mormon which was 2 Nephi 31 about baptism. She said what stood out most to her was the importance of being baptized in water, by immersion and that that was clear for her now. But then she went on to say that when it comes to baptism for her, it was a no. 

....

All we could do was pray and listen and just pray some more that God would help us know what to say. She talked about how it would just be really hard for her because she would feel like she was abandoning her Catholic roots. Then the spirit just led us to share our testimonies with her. Then I asked her if she had prayed to know the Book of Mormon was true and she said no, she hadn't. So we talked about how vital that would be for her, to really pray and ask with a sincere heart and real intent and she nodded and we could tell she understood. She said she would do it. 

It was so intense! But calm at the same time. If I've learned one thing since being out here it is the importance of the spirit. The spirit is everything. Nothing happens in lessons where we don't have the spirit. So it's been a fun journey exploring that and trying to figure out how to connect to the spirit and how to recognize it. It's such a vital skill not only for missionary work but just for pretty much everything in life. So I will be forever grateful for having been able to dedicate so much time to trying to figure out how he works. I hope to have him with me the rest of my life. :)

Something cool also happened yesterday during zone conference. We did this little activity where we all had to write down on a scrap of paper 1 fear, and 1 thing we didn't like doing. As I pondered that, I thought of my regular fears... the ones that I still had throughout the majority of my mission, and then all the sudden I realized I wasn't afraid of them anymore. I pictured each fear and then thought, "oh wait, I have the temple. I'm not afraid of that anymore," or, "oh wait, I have the iron rod. I'm not afraid of that anymore." It was a pretty sacred experience for me. If there's one thing I've really learned about the gospel since being out here is that it dispels all fear. I've really learned and experienced that where there is faith, there is no room for fear. Just like how light dispels the darkness. And Christ is the light. And I can see now how vital that truth is going to be for the rest of my life. A verse from a song that I'm writing right now goes "and even though I've fallen hard before, you've picked me up and dust me off... I never really knew myself before, but I never lost the sight of my Savior." Something like that. Kind of illustrates what I've been thinking about lately about the importance of having Christ at the center. It doesn't matter what happened in the past, who we were, or what trials might be coming in the future... Christ will always be our Savior. And as we look to that, our sight is filled with light. Nothing else, just light. Just Him. And that saves us. 

Love you guys soooooo much. Hope you have the best week ever! :) Next week will be my last P-day and then I'll see you AT HOME! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! hahaha. Love you sooooo much. 

xoxo
Hermana Cannon II   

No comments:

Post a Comment